The firm was retained by the Corporation to prepare contract documents, tendering of the project to pre-qualified contractors and to provide contract administration services. The three storey townhouses have sloped roofs clad in asphalt shingles. The units also have shingle clad mansard roofs.
Part of the design process included a site visit to inspect some of the roofing details. Random attic inspections were also performed which revealed a number of issues which required attention.
The following work was included to improve the ventilation and reduce heat loss into the attics:
• installing air baffles in every truss space, cleaning of the soffits of all debris
• installing roof vents on the rear slope only
• installing 4” of rigid insulation to the attic hatch
• installing new weather stripping to the hatch frame
• sealing around all attic penetrations, (exhaust fan housings, plumbing stacks etc.
• venting exhaust fan ductwork thru proper hood vents
Other work included:
• replacing all flashings at mansard/slope roof junctions
• replacing all mouldy plywood sheathing
• replacing window cap flashings at upper floor windows
• installing additional fiberglass batt insulation at the exterior stud walls in the attics, existing insulation was noted to minimal at these areas
• sealing all B-vent chases in the attics
Cion|Coulter provided contract administration services throughout the project which included: periodic site reviews, reporting to the client, preparation of change orders, certification of contractor payments and preparation of close-out documentation